[Mageia-dev] Question about backports: calibre (bug 1659)

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 14 18:42:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

> Indeed, Mageia does not have the number of packagers that Fedora has.
> However, if Mageia's _policy_ is to rather have 6-7 months old versions in
> updates, I should probably realize that Mageia is not for me.

This will ultimately be up to the people who do the stable updates. As you
can see from the fedora policy you quoted it is not possible to give exact
rules for what kind of updates will be accepted.

> No, I have not, and never will use any repository called "backports". When a
> newer stable  release of a distro is available, I should update to it if
> updates I need are not pushed into Release N-1 "updates" (even if that release
> is officially still supported with security patches), but again, "backports"
> as Mandriva and Mageia are seeing them -- i.e. backporting
> from  Cooker/Cauldron, not from "updates/testing" nor from "Release N+1"
> -- does not fit my Zen.

They will come from backports_testing I'd think. Likely packages will go
from cauldron where they are tested a bit into backports_testing, and
finally to backports.

Would this 'backports' repository section sound better to you if it is
renamed e.g. to 'rolling' ? (:

     Christiaan