[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jun 15 00:58:18 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 15 juin 2011 à 03:23 +0900, Jehan Pagès a écrit :
> Hi,

> I think it is so insane so many distributions are still with an
> "update by CD" logics (even though it is partly modernized with
> dropping the iso into an usb stick, or even simply mounting it
> directly, I think that is still so backwards that this is the major
> advertized way to do it).

I have updated my laptop from Fedora 11 to 15 using yum ( with all
intermediary release ).
I have updated several debian from sarge to lenny ( like 20 servers )
using apt-get.
I updated my home server from Mandriva 2006.0 to 2010.2 ( with all
intermediary releases ), and even downgraded it the day I half updated
it to Mageia by error. We also did for the 3 zarb.org servers, among
others.
I updated the laptop of my girlfriend from Hardy Heron to Lucid Lynx.

So where are all those distros that requires to use a cd, since I
successfully avoided it for 4 popular distributions ( Debian, Fedora,
Mandriva, Ubuntu ) ?

If we want to have update with cd, we have the required software. We
just need people to test before the release.

Now, of course, if people could stop saying "I reinstalled, it is safer"
and just filled bug reports so we can fix the real issue, it would
surely help.
--
Michael Scherer