[Mageia-dev] gmane

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 15 01:44:47 CEST 2011

2011/6/15 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Le mardi 14 juin 2011 à 18:17 +0200, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:09:23 +0200
>> Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >  - gmane is clumsy, slow - my tests last September/October reveilled
>> > that with an active list you see 2 replies in the list before the
>> > initial mail is available in gmane. So, people using gmane for posting
>> > will always be behind and may destroy a thread or reply to already
>> > obsolete points. There were also missing mails in the middle of
>> > threads which made it unusable for me.
>>
>> My experience with gmane is different. Yes it lags a bit but usually by
>> a couple of minutes. Unless you want to use your mailing-list as some
>> kind of real-time communication channel (you shouldn't ;-)), this is ok.
>>
>> gmane's Web UI is not great but its NNTP gateway, OTOH, works fine for
>> me, both for reading and posting, using claws-mail as my NNTP client.
>>
>> And the fact that it doesn't ask you to sign for any kind of account is
>> really nice.
>
> For the record, I looked at nntp servers when we started the project as
> it seemed promising and was used by students in a school near my home.
> But from a sysadmin point of view, there isn't much choice :
> - there is inn, and some friends told me scary stories about it
> - cyrus support nntpd but I didn't understood to what extend
> - there is various half finished servers on freshmeat
> - there is proprietary servers ( used by giganews, etc )
> - there is lots of libraries
> - there is server that do not fullfill our need ( leafnode )
>
> So while it would help a lot ( as you can subscribe to lists using a
> rich interface without much hassle, get older mails, and unsubscribe at
> will ), it was not easy to do.

Wow, that puts me back in time more than a decade, when I spent time
setting up inn on a remote server and leafnode as a local server,
using Emacs/Gnus as client! :) As much as I appreciated the technical
quality of this whole system, I would not go through these ordeals
today. Well, leafnode was easy as a pie, but remembering inn still
makes my neck hairs stand up and everybody knows that Emacs/Gnus is
The Beast by definition!

--
wobo