[Mageia-dev] Fw: Re: Problems with Gnome 3

Dick Gevers dvgevers at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 17 15:58:19 CEST 2011

Begin forwarded message:
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:26:20 +0200
From: Wolfgang Bornath
To: Dick Gevers
Subject: Re: [Mageia-dev] Problems with Gnome 3

2011/6/16 Dick Gevers :
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:58:18 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote about Re:
> [Mageia-dev] Problems with Gnome 3:

>>> Unlike the 'gnome shell', the gnome 3 panel does have a Shutdown item in
>>> the user menu (but no Suspend).
>
> Press 'Shut Down' and you see suspend, hibernate, restart, cancel, shut
> down

Well, I have to give credit to the Gnome project: their documentation
is quite up-to-date!

The official way to shutdown/reboot from gnome-shell is actually
logging off via user menue, then select shutdown or reboot in the
context menue in the login screen.

BUT:
Open the user menue and then press the ALT key - the "Suspend" option
changes to "Power Off" !
Or, even faster: In "System settings -> Power" change the action for
"Press power button" to "Shutdown" (values translated from German, so
they may be a bit different)
 - you get a dialogue with options [shutdown, reboot, cancel], if you
do nothing the system shuts down in 60 seconds.

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/ - recommended read!

--
wobo