[Mageia-dev] Release cycles proposals, and discussion

mammig_linux mammig_linux mammig.linux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 15:23:36 CEST 2011

Hello,

The discussion about the "Mageia life cycle" start few days ago on the
forum of the French user community of Mageia (
http://www.mageialinux-online.org/forum/topic-10576+cycle-de-vie-de-mageia.php
: for those who read French )

tTo put all the answers in a nutshell, i will say that users rather
having a new version if that bring big changes.
If the goal is to have a "windows like new version" ( with a new
design, new bugs, new system sounds, "please buy a new printer/scanner
because the new driver will never exist" or "please buy a new computer
because yours is too old/not enough memory"... and no fundamental
changes on the OS ) or something like :
Mageia(n) = Mageia(n-1) - some bugs + new design + some updates
then it's useless to have a new version each x month.

Users wants a good, strong, and long life OS.
Those who like to change the design will be happy if they have
something like "task-newdesign.RPM"
those who like news or updates will be happy with update and backports
repository.

Currently, we just put the suitcase on the floor. ( sorry, bad
translation of a french idiom ;))
The website is "temporary", like the wiki and like a lot of things.
It's hard to find new volunteers... So... We needn't to have the eyes
bigger than the stomach ( sorry, bad translation of a French idiom
O:))
Let's take time for opening the suitcase... having a good multilingual
web site with an easy management, a "not temporary" wiki, correcting
bugs, maybe make more test, create the missing and ask packages,
create stronger teams with more people. Maybe we can think of a new
way of working ( like the idea of "Proofreading" in i18n teams )...

Currently I help anaselli in his project of "educative Mageia
version", maybe it should be great to have others version of Mageia (
like a "server" version for example ).

Greeting,
mammig

PS : I think it's a good thing to have the opinion of users about
that, even if they are not english. I will not make a translation of
each message, I guess a small summary is enough.