[Mageia-dev] [RPM] cauldron core/release p-uae-2.3.2-1.gita2b6937.2.mga2

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jun 20 01:54:28 CEST 2011

Le dimanche 19 juin 2011 à 22:40 +0200, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
> On 18 June 2011 20:12, Mageia Team <buildsystem-daemon at mageia.org> wrote:
> > [This is in an unofficial branch of UAE (the Ubiquitous Amiga Emulator)
> > with the aim of bringing the features of WinUAE to non-Windows platforms
> > such as Linux, Mac OS X and BeOS.]
> >
> > obgr_seneca <obgr_seneca> 2.3.2-1.gita2b6937.2.mga2:
> > + Revision: 109474
> > - cleaned spec file
> > - removed buildroot tag
> > - imported package p-uae
>
> Should this be in core?
> In mdv such emulators usually ended in PLF...

Unfortunately, no one ever gave a reason for having them in PLF besides
"that's because emulators goes to PLF", despites having zsnes and snes9x
in contribs since years.

Among the potential reasons would be :
- copyright violation due to proprietary rom/bios ( which need to be
checked on a case by case basis )
- copyright due to logo/names/brand ( again, that would be a case by
case )
- fear of being attacked due to the bleem! story in 1999
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem! ).

The 3rd option would be perfectly suited given the highly "historical"
nature of the reason.

Nowadays, the only important story I can find would be this one :
http://mashable.com/2011/05/30/emulators-banned-android-market/ , and
there isn't much information, besides the supposition this could be a
TOS violation.

--
Michael Scherer