[Mageia-dev] Minimal patching vs. fixing the whole Universe

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 23:51:02 CEST 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:47:40 -0400, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> As long as '/usr/bin/env python' _works_, I see no point in trying to rewrite other people's work.

Excluding the calibre scripts, in /usr/bin of a Mageia 1 kde clean installation ...
# grep -I python *|grep '#!'|grep env
ebook-convert:#!/usr/bin/env python
ebook-device:#!/usr/bin/env python
ebook-meta:#!/usr/bin/env python
ebook-viewer:#!/usr/bin/env python
epub-fix:#!/usr/bin/env python
fetch-ebook-metadata:#!/usr/bin/env python
gsettings-schema-convert:#!/usr/bin/env python
jack_control:#!/usr/bin/env python
lrf2lrs:#!/usr/bin/env python
lrfviewer:#!/usr/bin/env python
lrs2lrf:#!/usr/bin/env python
markdown-calibre:#!/usr/bin/env python
pdfmanipulate:#!/usr/bin/env python
pykdeuic4:#!/usr/bin/env python
pykdeuic4:header = """#!/usr/bin/env python
web2disk:#!/usr/bin/env python

In general, I agree with you.  If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

However, in this case, the python2 had to be changed to python.

The environment is not being modified, so it is adding an unneeded process,
which should be discouraged.

Since you have to change the line anyway, I have to agree with Ahmad, that
it should be changed to #!/usr/bin/python.

Regards, Dave Hodgins