[Mageia-dev] Update of backport, policy proposal

José Jorge jjorge at free.fr
Fri Jun 24 13:12:53 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 24 juin 2011 02:15:03, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Last solution, declare that cherry picking is not supported, or that
> people are on their own, and explain the reason. However, people have
> been asking this, and recommend this. This would also be against a goal
> of having confidence in the backports.

I have always used backports in a total way : if I want latest software
against stability, I take them all. Think about little dependencies that still
exist (vlc + ffmpeg, etc).

So I would say Mageia has two update modes :

- end user (security) mode (updates)
- power user (let's try everything) mode (updates+backports)

Each user  will recognise himself in one of the two modes.