[Mageia-dev] Backports policy proposal

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Jun 26 00:34:41 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 24 juin 2011 à 17:33 +0300, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> On 24.06.2011 03:10, Michael Scherer wrote:
> > Another rule that we could add is that cauldron should always be newer
> > than backports, in order to ensure upgradability. The same goes for n-2
> > and n-1 release.
> > While this seems innocent, do not forget this will have a impact when we
> > do the version freeze.
>
> So this will prevent backporting anything to mga1 if it is not in mga2
> release/updates ?

That's a good question but yes, I would consider such policy.
Ie, do backport only for the latest supported release.

> Also, I don't see the advantage in preventing backports during freeze.
> The backports are re-allowed soon anyway, and the upgradeability goes
> away anyway.

Then if people use mgaonline, it will fail, and then, people will start
to say "we cannot upgrade distribution" and sooner or later, mgaonline
will have the same bad reputation that backports had.

So either we want mgaonline to be rock solid ( and I think that would be
a benefit, and that if we managed to do it for mandriva, we can continue
), or we want to offer backports that will disrupt it, and thus have "if
you use backport, upgrade will not be supported", which is yet another
reason for people to not use it.

I do not see how we could win on both, except by limiting backporting to
make sure system are still upgradable.

Another solution would be some smart upgrader that do enable backports
for upgrade, without taking everything. And until we see a working piece
of code doing that, this will not be a solution.

--
Michael Scherer