[Mageia-dev] Backports policy proposal

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Jun 26 17:33:50 CEST 2011

Le dimanche 26 juin 2011 à 18:00 +0300, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> On 26.06.2011 01:34, Michael Scherer wrote:
> >>
> >> So this will prevent backporting anything to mga1 if it is not in mga2
> >> release/updates ?
> >
> > That's a good question but yes, I would consider such policy.
> > Ie, do backport only for the latest supported release.
>
> This will essentially prevent backporting anything to mga1 after mga2
> release. :/

Yes, that's explicitly the problem.

Now, maybe we could say "if you use backports on version N after the
release of N+1, then mgaonline will no longer work". Provided we find a
user friendly way to warn users, we can maybe find something.

But again, it is either the backports or the upgrade. And people do have
expressed to have both :
- "reinstalling at every release is hard and annoying, why not do like
Ubuntu and Debian ?"
- "We want newer software, why not provides newer version ?"

So we either need a way to solve the dilemma, or at least, a way to
clearly explain the impact to people.

I think I may have a idea that would solve this issue and the one of
update, but I need to think a little bit before proposing it
( especially since I suffer from common cold, maybe my idea is
completely rubbish ).

--
Michael Scherer