[Mageia-dev] Proposal of a backporting process

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 29 11:03:06 CEST 2011

2011/6/29 Angelo Naselli <anaselli at linux.it>:
> mercoledì 29 giugno 2011 alle 00:23, andre999 ha scritto:
>> A leaf package is a package that is not required by any other package.
>> But leaf packages will always require something else.
>> If B requires A, then A is not a leaf package, even though B could be.
>> When backporting B, we test to make sure that it works with release A.
>> Obviously it restricts what can be backported, but the trade-off is that backports will
>> (almost always) work, and they won't break anything.
>
> Well my point is i often backport something for my job (for the most
> commoncpp2 now, ucommon in future), and since they are libraries i can fall
> in errors. I always tested before backporting though, and i haven't had any problems
> upgrading, but that's me and i could have been lucky.
>
> If we can accept some exceptions from time to time, but proved (bug open, testing
> and updates/backports etc) i can think to have mageia not only at home or in a virtual
> box. Otherwise i can't see the need of backports, for me of course.

As this is being discussed we have a nice practical example in the forum:
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=667

A guy is using Mageia 1 which provides lyx 1.6. He already has several
documents done with lyx 2.0, so he needs lyx 2.0 in Mageia.

Now lyx 2.0 is in Cauldron. Say the guy does not want to use Cauldron
because of the risk of instability. This is a perfect use case for a
backport of lyx 2.0 for Mageia 1. How would we go about that according
to policy?

--
wobo