[Mageia-dev] How is the obsoleted binaries be removed?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 30 12:35:28 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 30/06/11 10:08 did gyre and gimble:
> Le jeudi 30 juin 2011 à 09:41 +0100, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>> 'Twas brillig, and Funda Wang at 30/06/11 00:11 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Then the repository will contain a lot of orphan libs.
>>
>> I think Dexter was just replying to Ze rather than yourself Funda.
>> Meaning we don't obsolete libs in the spec file (as was true in mdv), so
>> removing old libs no longer used internally is still a manual
>> (rpmctl-type) task.
>
> I do not know if I proposed that already, but what about moving rpms
> without source rpms after 2 weeks ( or 1 month ) ?
>
> ( and later remove the file after 1 month ). This let us the time to
> rebuild everything, and provides automated cleaning ?

I agree in principle, but I would say:

 1. Move rpms with no src.rpm after 2 weeks when there are no
(unobsoleted) rpms that depend on it.
 2. If other rpms do depend on it, send an automated mail to cauldron to
tell people to rebuild them against the newer lib.

Other than that small caveat... yeah it seems like a nice idea!

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]