[Mageia-dev] HEADSUP: New initscripts and systemd

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Nov 4 18:15:16 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 04/11/11 17:09 did gyre and gimble:
> On 11/04/2011 01:00 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> Note that I haven't done anything about systemd one way or the other, so
>>> what's installed is what an install around September/October installed,
>>> plus --auto-select updates since then.
>>>
>>> Any ideas ?
>> Not yet... looking into it.
>>
>> Col
>>
> To follow up, I just did a fresh install, and the new system doesn't
> have the problem, so it looks like an upgrade issue.  I have the failing
> partition still on the side if you need any info....

There is indeed a bug in the rc.sysinit as JA Magallon said.

As the fresh install is using systemd, it likely masked the problem.

If you update the failing partition to the latest initscripts I've just
submitted and retest it that would be great.

If it doesn't boot enough to be able to install packages easily enough,
you could either.

a) mount that partition from another install and use rpm --root to
install the new package, or.
b) Boot it with init=/bin/systemd on kernel cmd line which will
hopefully be enough to boot and then update packages and then reboot
without systemd to test it.

Hope that makes sense and sorry for the hassle.