[Mageia-dev] Updating a new install is too long...

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:19:59 CET 2011

2011/11/6 Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be>:
> Op zondag 06 november 2011 08:15:12 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
> [...]
>> How is a download of a 600MB iso different from installing 600MB of
>> updates via net? More, usually you will not need all updates, only
>> updates of installed packages.
>
> because they can be downloaded by someone else and burned and delivered to
> someone. or, if you're doing multiple installs, you can save time.

We are talking about 2 different things here:

1. An "update release", meaning a installation DVD with current status.
The benefit for new installations is the current state of a stable
release. The downside: the installation only holds part of the
software. Many (or even most) users will install additional packages
from the repos after installation. This will not change, and people
who want to update their existing system will still need to get
updates for all installed packages which are not on the installation
DVD.

2. A DVD with updates
This DVD may present a benefit for people with small bandwidth or in
case of a multiple machine environment. Although, in such a case I'd
prefer a local repository with nightly sync. A DVD with all updates is
only a snapshot of one moment in the release's life, part of it may be
outdated next day or week. So, 2 weeks later we have the same
questions as today. I don't think that Mageia should offer this, not
talking about the fact that everybody can do this (at the time which
suits himself) without much knowledge.

A DVD with updates is a nice idea for a local community where somebody
has enough bandwidth to host a local repo (or even mirror) and can
hand out update snapshots on request for people with small bandwidth..

--
wobo