[Mageia-dev] Updating a new install is too long...

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 6 13:49:27 CET 2011

2011/11/6 Sander Lepik <sander.lepik at eesti.ee>:
> 06.11.2011 13:38, Wolfgang Bornath kirjutas:
>>
>> 2011/11/6 Maarten Vanraes<alien at rmail.be>:
>> It may be an option if you have such a DVD I was talking about in
>> point 2 - somewhere at the start of the install process you can add an
>> additional medium. If a newer package is on the update DVD (or USB key
>> or external harddisk) the installer should take this instead of the
>> package from the installer DVD) should work with an update DVD or USB
>> key. It will not reduce the download but the overall system setup time
>> (as you wrote).
>
> Won't this end up with "Enter updates medium" -> "Enter main medium" ->
> "Enter updates medium" -> and so on..

Your question reminded me of my old Schneider 8086, no harddisk, 2
floppy drives. Working with Word for DOS (18 program floppies, 7
driver floppies) meant: one drive was occupied with the OS floppy, the
other one was your "DJ turntable". Want to format a character as bold?
Insert floppy #8. Continue writing? Enter floppy #4. :)

Back to today: it depends on your machine and how you organize things.
If you have only one DVD drive, occupied by the installation DVD, you
want to put the updates on a USB key (or the other way around). Or use
2 USB keys. My experience of the last 2-3 years say that most people
are dumping optical media for installation ISOs more and more in favor
of USB media (keys, harddisks).

For my netbook (no optical drive) I have a selection of USB keys as
install media and a USb harddisk which I could use for the updates.

Sometimes the question how hard or how easy something is for you is
answered by your way to do it.