[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Mon Nov 7 23:26:19 CET 2011

Hi all!

I've looked in our kernel-firmware package in core/release, and found
firmware for several dozens of devices that are not OSI-free (as
previously noted but too late for mga1).

Shall I move the firmware files for the following hardware to
kernel-firmware-extra, which is in nonfree/release?

The most notable examples of affected firmware are
- ATI/AMD Radeon cards (free driver)
- Broadcom Tigon3 Gigabit Ethernet
- Intel PRO/100 Ethernet
- Matrox G200/G400/G550

As a reminder:
Debian has the non-free firmware in non-free section.
Fedora has the non-free firmware in the main (and only) section.
Ubuntu has the non-free firmware in the main section.
According to our media policy, they belong to nonfree like in Debian.

Full list below, as parsed from:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=blob;f=WHENCE;hb=HEAD

--
Anssi Hannula