[Mageia-dev] [RFC] move cairo-dock to tainted because of trademark/patent issues

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Nov 10 00:12:20 CET 2011

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011, Michael Scherer wrote:

> Well, I think we said we would place packages with various problem
> related to the law, and that could be patent or something else.
> "
>         stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some
>         patent issues or other restrictions in other countries
> "
>
> The whole point is what is exactly "patent issue".
>
> One definition would be "someone found a patent related, that is
> currently valid". That's one possibility.

With this possibility, we need to move the kernel to tainted, as some
people claim that they found "283 issued but not yet court-validated
software patents that, if upheld as valid by the courts, could potentially
be used to support patent claims against Linux" :
http://www.osriskmanagement.com/press_releases/press_release_080204.pdf

So I agree that we should only use tainted for package with significant
risk.