[Mageia-dev] [RFC] prefer dma rather than postfix in prefer.vendor.list for msec mga1 -> mga2 upgrade

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Thu Nov 10 10:48:34 CET 2011

Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le mercredi 09 novembre 2011 à 22:41 +0200, Anssi Hannula a écrit :

>>> msec already sends everything also to /var/log, which was disregarded
>>> in last discussion because normal users don't look there and it
>>> slowly adds up on diskspace.
>>>
>> Normal users also do not read local mailboxes and the mailboxes slowly
>> add up on diskspace.
>>
> And log files can be rotated, unlike mailboxes. Maybe the log are not
> rotated on the other hand, so that's a bug that could/should be fixed,
> if that's the case.

Since log files are rotated and compressed, it is a lot better to avoid
duplicating all that detail to mailboxes, where it is not compressed,
accumulates indefinitely if not removed by user action.
(On my system log files have always been properly rotated.)

> What we could do is either :
> - install nothing by default
> - install postfix/dma/whatever by a drakwizard if/when user give a email
> for msec alert.

I have tended to favour installing dma, as personally I like being
notified, but I'm beginning to think that we need another solution.
> Maybe another solution would be to make msec smarter and not spew 100
> lines per hours. I am all for msec but as I say often, this look like a
> Homer Simpson invention.

That I agree with totally.
Summaries to the mailing list (like x packages updated, y removed, z
added), with references to log would be much better.
The defaults for the standard level are a bit ridiculous also.  How many
users care about which applications listen on ports ?  (Which is usually
only Internet.)

Maybe a better alternative (by default) would be to send a persistant
alert to the screen, which refers to the log file.  And maybe has a link
to view the detail in the log file.
The current alert disappears automatically after a few seconds, so is
very easily missed.  (Especially since it runs at 4 in the morning, at
least on my system.)
With a persistant alert, I wouldn't need email notification.
(I'm not running a server.)

It might be an idea for msec to store these alerts (of not more than a
few lines each) in a special file, until each is acknowledged.  Every
new alert appears in a window on the screen, with all unacknowledged
previous alerts.  The window stays there until closed.  Much like a
dedicated mailing list without headers, and very compact.  With the
detail going to the logs.
The more I think about it, I would very much prefer this sort of default
solution.
Just an idea :)

--
André