[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

xi ctrl.alt.sup at free.fr
Thu Nov 10 16:39:17 CET 2011

Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2011/11/10 xi <ctrl.alt.sup at free.fr>:
>> Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

>>> By the time a user boots his installed system he either has the online
>>> repositories already set (after install from liveCD) or is just a
>>> mouse click away from setting them. When the online repos are set the
>>> non-free repo is available if the user wants to have it.
>>>
>> What about if I don't have internet access ?
>
> Then he should use the liveCD. As has been in Mandriva.
>
>> If it is just a matter of asking to user whether or not he wants to install
>> non free firmware, then just go! But if the user with no internet access is
>> stuck because of firmware absence, then that's just stupid!
>
> This has been the same in Mandriva times:
>  - an installation DVD as Free Edition without non-free stuff
>  - installable LiveCDs including non-free drivers.

Are we talking about non-free _drivers_ or _firmware_ ?

Mandriva free DVD didn't contain non-free _drivers_, but _did_ contain
non free _firmwares_.
I am quite sure of this because we are able to run Edgeport serial
devices which needs non free firmware (io_ti driver) with Mandriva free DVD.

If you remove the non-free firmware, then such kind of material won't
work anymore.

Absence of non-free drivers generally don't prevent system from running
(eg for graphic card, you can still use Vesa driver). But Absence of
firmware will prevent hardware from running ...

Xavier