[Mageia-dev] Removal of non-free firmware from core section

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Thu Nov 10 21:31:50 CET 2011

Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Thursday 10 November 2011 14:45, andre999 wrote:
>
>> Why would someone wanting to avoid non-free at any price want to impose
>> that on others, particularly for such key factors as drivers and firmware ?
>> Doesn't sound very respectful of freedom in my mind.
>>
> That's turning it upside down. By having non-free drivers in core, we are imposing our restrictions on others who want freedom above all else, but want's to use our distribution. As it is now, they can't because they can't reliably install the system and be confident that all drivers are free.

1) I'm not proposing to have non-free drivers in core
2) I don't follow how that would impose any restrictions on anyone
3) Those who want freedom above all else obviously can't use a computer
with non-free hardware, and since all computers contain non-free
hardware, they obviously wouldn't be interested in an operating system,
even a great one based on Linux like Mageia.
> And note that I am not talking about the ISOs, I am talking about the repositories.

Good idea to separate free and non-free.
(I think we should say libre and non-libre.  That way we won't be saying
non-free, which could lead some to think that we are asking them to pay
money for it.)
> One solution that could satisfy most users is to have two sets of ISOs. One set which have the things and drivers that they do now, and one set with only Free software and drivers. Then people would have a real choice. Mandriva used to do that untill they turned away with 2011. The Free edition was marked with "free" in the filename. In order to effectively do that one have to separate the free and nonfree drivers and software in the repos.

I think most users would be totally satisfied if libre and non-libre
were clearly indicated, even in the package name.  That way there would
be no ambiguity.
Those more concerned about avoiding non-libre, even at the expense of
their hardware not working properly, would just have to avoid temptation.
>> I can understand if it were regarding less critical components of the
>> system.
>>
> In other words, you don't care about freedom, you want powerfull software.
> It is precisely critical components that matters, when it comes to freedom.

Indeed I do care about freedom, including the freedom to readily install
software that will let my non-free hardware function properly.
As far as I know, the only non-free software on my system, besides a
free-as-in-cost app to monitor my Internet usage running under wine, are
hardware-oriented firmware and possibly drivers.
Plus a few apps only installed for testing purposes, and never otherwise
used.
The app to monitor Internet usage will disappear as soon as I can find a
Linux-based app that works.  (I've tried a few, but none worked reliably.)
BTW, the most powerful software on my system is the kernel, unless you
want to count Libreoffice, Openoffice, or Seamonkey, all of which are
bigger.

--
André