[Mageia-dev] qemu new upstream release (1.0-rc1) and should we move from qemu-kvm to qemu?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Nov 14 14:53:43 CET 2011

On Sunday, 13 November 2011 23:32:45 Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> On 13.11.2011 10:58, Michael Scherer wrote:

> >> OK

> >> GNS3 is already in stable! This package is broken - no dynamips (=no
> >> router emulation at all...), no patched qemu (no virtualization support
> >> at all...) According to the developers and their online documentation
> >> for package maintainers http://forum.gns3.net/post11571.html UDP patched
> >> Qemu is dependency/very important.
> >
> > The fact that someone pushed a broken package is not a good reason to
> > add patches to qemu.
>
> OK, but I don't understand this.
>
> Why to keep defunct packages (this could be at least "major+ issue"  on
> our bugzilla) in stable and don't even want to fix, ignore this academic
> software (with maybe overall 1 000 000* downloads and 100 000 regular
> users), and to support... the inadvisable opinion of Mageia around.. at
> least the GNS3 users.
>
> * 799 968 Windows Downloads (just from the sourceforge mirrors) of the
> latest Windows binary of GNS3 (source
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/files/GNS3/0.7.4/)
>
> > We have too many patches on a general scale, and I
> > do not want to end with a 2nd package like gdb.
> >
> > Patches make harder to upgrade, harder to make sure security is done
> > correctly, and harder to ensure stuff are working ( since we are on our
> > own when we patch something ).
> > So for the patches, make sure it is upstream
>
> It's not qemu upstream, it's GNS3 and its community upstream.
>
> >   ( and given the discussion
> >
> > on ml, it should be soon )
>
> When I ask the developers, they don't know if qemu will include the
> patch at all and when (now or after one year) and they suggested to do
> the openSUSE way (today the most recommended and full featured Linux
> distro for GNS3).

[...]

> OK. So if gns3 can't be fixed for the stable - than should be removed
> from the repos (for ISOs is to late).
>
> If we don't provide qemu patch, then gns3 should be removed from
> Cauldron as well.
>
> I believe removing GNS3 is better than keeping it broken and.. irritate
> people (I don't count the opinion of our quality). Later some 3rd party
> repos can provide GNS3 and its dependencies.

You seem to imply that the only use of GNS3 is with this qemu patch.

But I used GNS3 with just dynamips, and this issue of GNS3 not being usable at
all due to missing dynamips can really be solved quite quickly just by
shipping dynamips to updates.

But, it looks like someone blindly imported gns3 and dynagen from Mandriva
without even understanding the use of these tools:

$ rpm -q --suggests dynagen
dynamips >= 0.2.8
xterm

(dynamips isn't explicitly required to be installed on the host with gns3 or
dynagen, as the hypervisor can be run on a different host than dynagen/GNS3).

Regards,
Buchan