[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release kdenlive-0.8.2-1.mga2

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Tue Nov 15 11:59:26 CET 2011

Am 15.11.2011 07:40, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> Le lundi 14 novembre 2011 à 19:29 -0300, Balcaen John a écrit :
>>> I vote no, let's wait for backports, like all other new versions.
>> i not agree at all because
>>  - we did it for KDE SC 4.6 (upgrading from 4.6.3 to 4.6.5).
>>  - the list of bug fixes  (especially the number of crash & corruption fix)
>>  - it's a *minor* version not a major one
> The policy is not about minor version, it is bugfixes only. Not
> everybody make the distinction between minor and major, especially for
> software developpers.
>
> And again, the question of QA is here. Since we didn't detect the
> regression ( and since there is so much crashes to fix, and sine
> everybody think that's important enough to bypass our policy, according
> to people in the thread ), how do people plan to make sure the most
> obvious one are corrected ?
>
> Do we have open bug reports about them, with clear reproducer ?
>
> And do at least someone plan to use kdenlive enough to say "this fixed
> the bug I have been seeing before" ?
>
> Or do we plan to do "it started, so it is good enough, let's ship it" ?
So your proposal is to basically redo the whole upstream work and separating
the bugfixes from the new features? If this isn't done by an experienced developer,
i think the chances of adding regressions in doing this for the 140 bugfixes
or whatever is higher than directly using upstream release.

Also i think this, measuring with two scales, and maybe over-simplifying it is
a bit unfair, we had KDE bugfix/feature updates, and now we say:
No, we can't do this? Either only bugfix through patches or no update at all?

An example: For ffmpeg, to fix the reported multiple security issues,
as 0.6 branch is not supported upstream anymore, basically we'd need
to go over through 7500 commits, check if they are bugfix or security-
related, and cherrypick the relevant ones. I don't have enough C/git
knowledge to do this, and Anssi is quite short on spare time, so it may
take a while to get this done. In some rare cases it is either really really
difficult or not doable due to manpower constraints.

Also i'd like to notice that we don't do automated regression testing or
unit tests, and we were at the process of bootstrapping mageia where
the tests should have gotten this. IMHO you can't possibly expect that,
there were simply not enough endusers to catch such bugs/regressions.

In a perfect world, yes, sure, but remember we're not in an ideal, perfect world.