[Mageia-dev] Fresh install hangs during boot since yesterday

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Nov 18 11:43:24 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 16/11/11 16:45 did gyre and gimble:
> On 11/16/2011 11:00 AM, Frank Griffin wrote:
>> Since yesterday's updates, I've done repeated (3) fresh cauldron
>> installs on a partition on an Acer Aspire One.  In each case, after
>> mounting the partition from another working partition and rebuilding
>> the initrd with radeon-firmware, booting the new partition gets to the
>> point of putting up the Mageia splash screen, and then hangs for 10 or
>> 15 *minutes* before the DM finally starts.
>>
> As an addenda, this didn't happen on the second boot, only on the
> first.  On the second boot, there was only about 1 minute delay between
> the appearance of the splashscreen and the start of the DM.

See my earlier mail about debugging boot times using bootchart. This
should at least help you understand why it takes 1 minute and help debug.

As for the longer delay, I'm not 100% sure. I don't know much about the
radeon drivers, but it would be easy enough to tell your
plymouth-quit-wait.service to not start which might help "systemctl
disable plymouth-quit-wait.service"

If you do not use LVM or anything else "exotic", you can likely also
call "systemctl disable udev-settle.service" too which might speed up
your boot.

Not got an immediate ideas yet, as I've been out the loop for the last
week or so getting my head down at work.