[Mageia-dev] Drakx-net or NetworkManager for Mageia 2

John Balcaen mikala at mageia.org
Mon Nov 21 21:15:29 CET 2011

2011/11/21 Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com>:
> On 11/21/2011 02:14 PM, Marianne Lombard wrote:
>>
>> What will Mageia team do ? Continue to maintain and enhance drakx-net or
>> follow all others distributions with NetworkManager ?
>
> There are a number of serious problems with NM that have not, to my
> knowledge, been dealt with.  It's particularly bad with wireless (which is
> what Mageia tends to use it for the most); see bugs 856, 2160, 2416.
Bug 856 is grub related so i guess we can forget this one ;o)
Bug 2416 was submitted when nm 0.9 (well beta) was not patched to
support our sysvinit script, we'll still waiting for an answer of the
initial report.
So 2160 is the only bug remaining here but i think it's probably the
same bug aka it was reported when nm was not supporting sysvinit

> Or
> just google for NM problems (there's a ton of people having trouble with
> it).
>
> One of the annoying things about it is that you can say "no" to it in the
> ifcfg file, but it will try to handle the interface anyway.
It's happening with the *current* networkmanager of with the beta when
the patch was not applied because blino did fix the patch & now nm
respect the ifcfg- command line.
>  And if you look
> in bug 2160, it appears that we have no maintainer for it.
Well there's a lot of packages without maintainer ...

--
Balcaen John
Jabber-id: mikala at jabber.littleboboy.net