[Mageia-dev] Drakx-net or NetworkManager for Mageia 2

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Tue Nov 22 01:10:31 CET 2011

Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com> writes:

> On 11/21/2011 02:14 PM, Marianne Lombard wrote:
>>
>> What will Mageia team do ? Continue to maintain and enhance
>> drakx-net or follow all others distributions with NetworkManager ?
>
> There are a number of serious problems with NM that have not, to my
> knowledge, been dealt with.  It's particularly bad with wireless
> (which is what Mageia tends to use it for the most); see bugs 856,
> 2160, 2416.  Or just google for NM problems (there's a ton of people
> having trouble with it).
>
> One of the annoying things about it is that you can say "no" to it in
> the ifcfg file, but it will try to handle the interface anyway.  And
> if you look in bug 2160, it appears that we have no maintainer for it.

Well, there was also a bug in drakx-net about that, and I've finally
found time to fix it.
This has been introduced by the NM support added by Mandriva (revision
271832), which we carelessly imported initially :-/

Basically, if a NM_CONTROLLED setting was present in an ifcfg file, it
would always be rewritten as "yes"...

This bugfix was worth a big release bump, welcome drakx-net 1.0!

--
Olivier Blin - blino