[Mageia-dev] List of un-maintained packages

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Mon Nov 28 13:41:43 CET 2011

Hello,

I received recently a mail from Samuel Verschelde asking me to look
again at the list of un-maintained packages in mageia (either
http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/data/unmaintained.txt or by mgarepo maintdb
get | grep nobody). Thanks for the reminder !

I was really surprised of what I found, and I'm pretty sure some people
have not registered themselves as package maintainer correctly. I can't
believe we could have a working distribution without people in charge
of:
attr
basesystem
bind
bison
busybox
cpio
curl
cvs
docbook-*
dosfstools
findutils
flex
gdb
ghostscript
grub
gzip
initscripts
inn
keychain
less
lilo
locales
logrotate
lzma
mageia-release
man
man-pages
mkinitrd
mt-st
mtools
ncurses
netcat-traditional
ntp
openjade
openssl
openvpn
pam
parted
passwd
procmail
sane
sgml-common
shorewall
sqlite
sudo
sympa
sysstat
tcp_wrappers
tcpdump
tcsh
termcap
traceroute
udev
util-linux-ng
xinetd
xmodmap
(And this is really a list of what looks to me mandatory, I'm sure each
here will make its own, with differences).

As much as I'm willing to maintain packages, I don't think I'm the
most qualified to take some of these. However, a distro without them
maintained has no future :-(

So I guess there is something wrong here. Or are we so few that nobody
want to take these ?

I'm willing to contribute, already "own" 29 pkgs (but some of these
because I thought I'd rather take them than leave unmaintained, even if
surprised) but don't have that much time, nor expertise to add the full
list !

Any taker ?
Greetings,
Bruno.