[Mageia-dev] HEADSUP: mariadb available for testing

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Tue Nov 29 00:21:04 CET 2011

Hi,

in order to get more testing, i've decided to submit to cauldron core/release,
however there lies a problem:

Since everything is almost exact with mysql, same files and such, there are
some library conflicts which would present always a choice if we want both
mysql and mariadb (in particular libmysqlclient.so.X). Since we also want this
really used at build/link time one of both versions should be used.

considering that mariadb mysql client works perfectly for both mysql and
mariadb. and that mysql mysql-client may not work perfectly for local servers
due to the my.cnf file being used for both client and server (mysql client is
supported for remote mariadb servers), I'd like to use the mariadb client
packages.

The way I see it, there are 2 possibilities:
A. I remove the mysql-client, libmysqlclient, mysql-common and assorted
packages from mysql, and provide them with mariadb, since libmysqlclient is
drop-in replacable (same library ABI and such), there is not 100% requirement
of rebuilding all libmysqlclient dependant programs.

advantages:
 - both mariadb and mysql servers are present, people can choose
disadvantages:
 - more QA
 - more work for me

B. We drop mysql completely and submit mariadb

advantages:
 - less work for me
 - less work for QA
disadvantages:
 - mysql is completely gone.

If I get to choose, i'd know which one i would choose, but I'd like some
feedback on this point.

Some more bordering information:
 - mariadb has XtraDB, which is essentially a patched InnoDB (it also supplies
an exact vanilla InnoDB as a plugin)
 - mariadb still has myISAM support
 - mariadb has as a default storage engine Aria (which can be used either as
transactional and as non-transactional)
 - the files are exactly the same as mysql, it's still mysqld, mysql for client
so upgrading issues should be minimal, but still tested, of course.

so please, test mariadb, build stuff against lib64mariadbclient18 , and give
opinion to which option to choose: A/B .