[Mageia-dev] xserver 1.11

Donald Stewart watersnowrock at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 00:35:02 CET 2011

On 29 November 2011 23:24, JA Magallon <jamagallon at ono.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:58:18 +0000
> Donald Stewart <watersnowrock at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone have, or know of some data on the number of people that
>> still use pre Nvidia 6 series cards? And what the performance between
>> the Nvidia and nouveau drivers for those cards is?
>> Because, if not many people use them - and nouveau works well it isn't
>> really an issue, but if not, then surely we run the risk of the
>> drivers not being compatible in time for Mga 2, despite that being a
>> long way off. If memory serves, it took a very long time for the 96xx
>> driver to being made compatible a while back. But then again, its
>> Cauldron, so we should test and push forward......
>
> Sorry, just to make my mind clear, what is the problem with GF 6 series ?
> Nouveau not working but from GF7 and up, or propietary not working in 6 ?
>
> Beacuse if it is the later, the standard nvidia current driver supports
> series 6 and up. The legacy drivers are required only for 5(FX) and below.

It was with pre 6 series cards, ir, 5,4.... because they are the ones
not supported with x1.11 and Nvidia driver, GF 6 and up don't matter
as they are supported by the proprietary driver.

So what I was meaning was that if the nouveau support is good for pre
6 series cards, ie 4,5 then it is fine as that can be used as a
workaround until the nvidia driver is compatible again.

i hope that that is clearer.