[Mageia-dev] Assigning bugs to maintainers

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Sat Oct 1 02:43:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

In bugzilla, many bugs were wainting for package to have maintainers. No the
triage team is going to assign bug requests to the package maintainer, only
way to avoid those bugs sitting forever in untriaged state.

It doesn't mean that the maintainer is the only person able to fix the bugs, so
feel free to help maintainers for any bugfix or enhancement request. However,
the maintainer is responsible for the package, so having bugs assigned to
him/her means that the maintainer manages a pool of bug reports and must try
to have them fixed :
- by himself/herself
- by someone else (ask to a fellow packager, to an apprentice, to mageia-dev
ML...)

Being the Assignee of the bug means you are the person who cares about it, and
tries to find ways to make the bug fixed.

Bugs and enhancement requests to mageia-specific tools (our version of urpmi,
of the drakxtools, etc.) are a special case because we are the upstream, so
there's a likelyhood that their bug report count will be higher than many
other packages ("distro" bugs + "developer" bugs). Maybe we should treat them
in a different way, but I don't know how for now.

Once all the bugs against packages that have maintainers have been triaged,
then we will have a better picture and will be able to think of improvements
to the way bug reports are handled.

Best regards

Samuel Verschelde
by derogation from Triage team :)