[Mageia-dev] Module config chaos [was Re: ANN: kernel-3.1-rc9 landing...]

JA Magallon jamagallon at ono.com
Thu Oct 6 17:55:40 CEST 2011

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 02:58:38 +0300
Thomas Backlund <tmb at mageia.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a small headsup...
>
> I've just submitted core kernel-3.1.0-0.rc9.1.mga2 to the buildsystem so
> it will probably start showing up on the mirrors in ~ 4 - 8 hours.
>
> Have fun...

I had ;)...

Works fine in most of boxes, but I have a 'little' problem with others.
They have IDE disks, and 3.1 kernel insists on driving them with IDE driver
(pata_acpi) instead of SATA emulation (ata_piix). So those boxes
which booted/mounted root via UUID survived and at least booted, using
hda as root. But others where I had drives named by device /sed/sda1, did
not even boot.

For the moment I could try to change the boot to LABEL or UUID, but I think this
is a bug, or at least a change wrt previous kernels.

I don't know if it is a problem with in-kernel detection or with the generation
of initrds, as new module-init-tools make initrd scripts complain about:

direwolf:~# bootloader-config --action rebuild-initrds
WARNING: "include /lib/module-init-tools/modprobe.compat" is deprecated, please use /etc/modprobe.d
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.

Some of this I think can be corrected:
/lib/module-init-tools/modprobe.compat -> /etc/modprobe.d/compat.conf
      (btw, is it still needed ? it was for migration from 2.4 to 2.6 and we are at 3.1 :-O )
/etc/modules <==== I think it is unused !
/etc/modprobe.preload -> deprectated for /etc/modprobe.preload.d
/etc/modprobe.conf -> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
                      or split in /etc/modprobe.d/[scsi-host.conf, usb.conf, ....]

But this late one generates other problem, /sbin/mkinitrd-mkinitrd references
/etc/modprobe.conf everywhere. If it just changes location, it is just a change,
but if it is split, ????

werewolf:~# egrep mod.*conf /sbin/mkinitrd-mkinitrd
modulefile=/etc/modules.conf   <============ ?????
modulefile=/etc/modprobe.conf
        modulefile=/etc/conf.modules
            echo "options $module $options" >> $MNTIMAGE/etc/modprobe.conf
        if [ "$module" = "zfcp" -a -f /etc/zfcp.conf ]; then

And last, are modprobe binaries in initrd the same as in distro ? If the answer is yes,
then probably the $MNTIMAGE/etc/modprobe.conf generated for initrd should also be relocated....

In short, a little chaos. I don't know if it is affecting something actually.

Hope this helps, at least as a detection of the problem.

by