[Mageia-dev] OSS sound support

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Oct 9 13:34:14 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 08/10/11 20:05 did gyre and gimble:
> On 8 October 2011 19:35, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> I've just pushed some changes that disable OSS sound under PulseAudio
>> sound profile.
>>
>> If you want to use OSS apps with PulseAudio, please install "ossp"
>> package which I've also just submitted.
>>
>> I think ultimately we'll disable ALSA OSS emulation completely and use
>> ossp in both PA and non-PA modes but I hear that the non-PA usage isn't
>> quite as nice, so I'm holding off doing this just yet.
>
> then task-pa should suggests ossp...

I'm undecided about this. I'm not sure if the default setup should
include OSS sound support or not. Perhaps it would be better left as
something that users install if they need it.

As we'll eventually have to go through all the packages that require
soundwrapper, perhaps we could either:

a) Replace the soundwrapper require with a ossp require.
b) Patch soundwrapper such that it's a noop if osspd is running and make
it require ossp.

The latter would mean less churn on packages, but it's arguably just
delaying the inevitable work of doing it eventually.

Thoughts?