[Mageia-dev] drupal - changes

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:04:01 CEST 2011

Le 10/10/2011 11:55, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011, 09:14:12 schrieb Guillaume Rousse:
>> Le 09/10/2011 12:21, Oliver Burger a écrit :
>>> And second I'd like to rename the package to drupal7, major version
>>> changes of drupal (and other cms  as well) tend to bring
>>> incompatibilities with them so it is imho better to maintain several
>>> lines as e.g. fedora does as well and we do with other packages like
>>> postgres.
>>
>> As long as there is no other drupalX package, this seems to be
>> gratuitous complexity.
>
> That maybe true, but it would help us, when drupal-8 is released (rumours say
> in the middle of 2012).
> If we now leave the name "drupal" then what do we do? Keep the name drupal to
> the 7.x branch and name drupal-8.x drupal8?
> That's not really logical.
That's the usual mandriva approache to have one default branch
(unversioned), and non-default ones (versioned). See Openldap, mysql,
php, cfengine, etc... The goal is 'keep it stupid simple as long as
possible'.

The 'let's version every package right from the start', as done in
postgresql, is rather the exception here. That's Debian practice, tough.

> Rename drupal-7.x to drupal7 and name drupal-8.x drupal?
> This will lead to existing drupal installations being updated to the 8.x
> branch which will likely break loads of things.
What's the problem if it is documented, and non-destructive ? Also, you
can wait one or two release before changing default version.

--
BOFH excuse #233:

TCP/IP UDP alarm threshold is set too low.