[Mageia-dev] KDE screensaver blocks background GUI processing ?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Oct 10 13:57:00 CEST 2011

Before I enter a bug report for this, I'd like to be a little more
certain of the nature of the problem.

I have a wine-based Windows app that is launched nightly by cron on a
system running 24x7.  It puts up a window that says it will start a
download in 30 seconds, and then refreshes the window counting down to
zero, at which point it starts.

For the last week or two in cauldron, the app launches from cron, but
the countdown does not begin until I come down in the morning and hit a
key to clear the screensaver.  It looks to me as though the act of
opening the window is being blocked by the screensaver, effectively
suspending the app.  Prior to "recently", this has been working fine.

This is a pretty unique situation, so I won't bother asking if anyone
else is seeing it, but does anyone familiar with the newer KDE release
in cauldron have any idea what's causing this ?

So far, all I can think of to do is, one-by-one, disable the screensaver
and then any display power management to see what's causing it, but
possibly kwin is now refusing to deliver window events when the SS is
active ?