[Mageia-dev] RPM features/issues/wishlist

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Sun Oct 16 23:22:53 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 01:13:23AM +0200, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:
> In the scenario for how I'd like to see packagekit adopted for Mandriva and MPM
> for instance, I'm kinda expecting having to go ahead and just
> implement and maintain
> some features in our own backend only that might not be part of
> packagekit's features
> or supported by other frontends for it etc. (at least not immediately).

I really like packagekit as a simplified tool. For more advanced usage,
I think it is fine if another tool exists.

Stuff that atm is not nicely working in 'packagekit':
* sometimes hangs when updating
* doesn't differentiate security updates vs "core os" vs application
  updates
  --> packagekit under gnome3 will automatically apply all security
  updates, plus provide a simplified overview
* pretty slow IMO, mgaapplet is *much* faster
* GNOME3 update check is only done 1x/week or so, while mgaapplet checks
  every 3 hours (that is a gnome3 -dconf- setting, just think it should
  be aligned)
* when packagekit works reliably, IMO nicest to only have packagekit as
  the updater instead of mgaapplet

--
Regards,
Olav