[Mageia-dev] require help to understand stage1/stage2/rescue source files

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 00:26:54 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 21:36, Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there someone who can help me understand the stage1/stage2/rescue system?
> or point to some docs? i've looked at it, but it seems to be sometimes one
> source file used for both... it's really confusing me.

Sources in mdk-stage1/ are used to build several binaries (including
init, stage1 and rescue-gui)

images/make_boot_img is used to generate the boot images which will
include stage1 and busybox

rescue/ is used to make rescue.sqfs image which contains a
/etc/rc.sysinit which will prepare things and then run rescue-gui

At the end stage1, if in rescue mode, the rescue image get loaded
(from local cd, ftp, http, ...), mounted and the code is run (else
same happens to stage2)