[Mageia-dev] Please test dracut (mkinitrd replacement)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Oct 21 01:29:46 CEST 2011

Hi,

Due to upcoming changes to systemd and friends we'll likely need to use
dracut rather than mkinitrd for some setups (i.e. those with LVM volumes
defined in /etc/fstab)

It would be good if people here could test as we will likely make it the
default at some point in the not too distant future.

To test:

sudo -i (or su -)
urpmi dracut
cd /boot
mv initrd-3.1.0-desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2.img initrd-old.img
/sbin/installkernel -N 3.1.0-desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2

This should install dracut, move the existing initrd out of the way, and
regenerate a new one using dracut. If you are using a different kernel
version then adjust the two commands accordingly to pick the right version.

Then just reboot. Hopefully all will go well and you won't notice much
difference :)

If it fails you should still be able to use the previous initrd by
editing the grub command line and specifying the initrd-old.img file
manually.

Cheers