[Mageia-dev] Please test dracut (mkinitrd replacement)

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mageia.org
Sun Oct 23 21:05:39 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:29:46AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Due to upcoming changes to systemd and friends we'll likely need to use
> dracut rather than mkinitrd for some setups (i.e. those with LVM volumes
> defined in /etc/fstab)
>
> It would be good if people here could test as we will likely make it the
> default at some point in the not too distant future.
>
> To test:
>
> sudo -i (or su -)
> urpmi dracut
> cd /boot
> mv initrd-3.1.0-desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2.img initrd-old.img
> /sbin/installkernel -N 3.1.0-desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2
done.

> This should install dracut, move the existing initrd out of the way, and
> regenerate a new one using dracut. If you are using a different kernel
> version then adjust the two commands accordingly to pick the right version.
>
> Then just reboot. Hopefully all will go well and you won't notice much
> difference :)

I'm sad to be the first to give bad news about that but:
when I rebooted it didn't work.

Here is the partitionning scheme I have:
/boot 256 MB
raid 0: 2x 60 GB
LVM on raid
/ on logical volume, btrfs filesystem

When I boot with the dracut initrd I don't get my / mounted.

Instead, after a while plymouth disappears and I get the following
message, repeated all over the screen:
modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
(/lib/modules/3.1.0-desktop-0.rc10.1.mga2/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko.gz)
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

When I run dmesg|less:
Everything is fine until my logical volumes are active and then I get
this message repeated over and over:
dracut: Checking, if btrfs device complete

and in the middle of this flood I get this:
scanning for all btrfs devices
failed to open /dev/btrfs_control skipping device registration
scanning devices md0 for LVM volume groups
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while
Found volume group "kaze" using metadata type lvm2
Partial mode. Incomplete volumes will be processed
5 logical volume(s) in volume group "kaze" now active
Autoassembling MDRaid.

and in the end I get
dracut: Warning: no root device "block:/dev/kaze/cauldron" found

So, to me the problem is neither raid nor LVM but btrfs

Any idea on how to solve this issue ?

In case it can be useful, here is the result of
lsinitrd-dracut /boot/initrd.img : http://pastebin.com/Xe5Jhj38
> If it fails you should still be able to use the previous initrd by
> editing the grub command line and specifying the initrd-old.img file
> manually.

Indeed, but does that mean that for the next kernel upgrade it will use
dracut by default ? Is there a way to generate the initrd the old way ?

> Cheers
>
> Col
>
> --
>
> Colin Guthrie