[Mageia-dev] E17 packaging

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Oct 26 22:06:26 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 26 octobre 2011 à 18:58 +0200, Florian Hubold a écrit :
> Am 26.10.2011 18:21, schrieb Michael scherer:

> >> We have better chances for bugfixes, don't think the snapshots which
> >> we used till now ( nearly one year old and also only based on
> >> the development release) will get some love anymore.
> >>
> >> For security issues, there were none that i'm aware of except for imlib2.
> > There is at least one that I found and reported 2 times ( albeit not using the
> > public bugtracker ) that didn't get corrected, just look
> > at http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/browser/trunk/elementary/src/lib/elm_map.c
> >
> > ( a little help : the issue is in the first 25 lines )
> You reported it two times. And as you happen to know the problem,
> may i ask where the fix is?

Ask to the e17 developpers. I reported it a 3rd time today on irc,
because there is no other way to report issues ( ie, I cannot find any
link to register on trac ). And while the fix is IMHO easy, I didn't
cared much because the 2nd time should have been the good one.

Now, let me repeat the question, because it was not answered, how do you
plan to take care of e17, wether we update the snapshot or not ?

e17 is typically the type of package where someone say "it sound great,
let's package it", and he does the job, and he update for each svn
snapshot, and get bored, and drop it. It already happened a few time at
Mandriva, and since it was in contribs, no one cared about stability or
security.

We do care, hence the question.

> Also may i remind you that elementary is also
> contained in Mageia 1 and also contains the issue you mentioned?
> How is that better for quality or security?

Then if there is no proper way to support and unless someone has a
better idea, we should drop it.

> >> But if you argument this way, we should stay with the packages we have
> >> until E17 is fully stable and release, but i don't see how this would be better.
> > We cannot at the same time say
> > "we offer quality package and take care of fixing them" and at the same time,
> > just say that we won't.
> >
> We want to be nearer to upstream to improve package quality.

So shipping svn snapshot is package quality ?
Never wondered why the only distributions to ship e17 officially are
also those that have no commitment to a stable version ( ie rolling
release ) ?

> Who said we don't want to offer quality E17 packages and don't support them?

Ok so explain to me how to take care of the upgrade on stable release.
And updating to a newer svn snapshot is already painful for firefox, so
I doubt it will be better if we do that for 15 rpms.

> If keeping old releases unchanged from distro to distro version is
> your vision of improving quality and more satisfying for our end-users,
> that's not my vision, sorry.

Then we should simply remove e17 altogether. Because, by choice of the
developpers, it is not stable enough to be packaged.

--
Michael Scherer