[Mageia-dev] Updating a new install is too long...

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Thu Oct 27 17:11:46 CEST 2011

Pascal Terjan skrev 27.10.2011 18:02:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 15:47, Florian Hubold<doktor5000 at arcor.de>  wrote:
>> Am 27.10.2011 16:02, schrieb Pierre Jarillon:
>>>
>>> Mageia 1 is a nice distribution and I install it on more and more PC.
>>> But updating after an install is very long, too much long.
>>> Now, 600 packages must be updated after an install. This shows a good
>>> health
>>> of Mageia but it is too much for users.
>>> My ADSL link is not very fast and a lot of people use a slower link.
>>>
>>> A workaround is necessary. There are two path:
>>> 1- publish each month a new iso: mageia-1a, mageia-1b, and so on
>>> 2- create an iso with updates: mageia-1-upd01, ...
>>> In each case, the sources of packages must be updated.
>>>
>> You will find the volunteers who will join QA team to do
>> the necessary quality assurance for the additional ISOs?
>
> Each month is not really feasible, as I believe it takes one week of
> work to build and test an iso.
> Doing it every 3 or 6 months could be a good idea

Yep. I suggested on latest council meeting to maybe release updated
isos in november/december but we haven't decided if we will do so yet.

This is because of the resources it takes to create and QA the isos,
and we are already working on creating alpha isos for Mageia 2 too,
so we would pretty much kill current QA...

So people, if you really want things like this, then _start_ helping!
Remember, this is a community distro, and if no-one steps up to do
the work, it wont happend.

--
Thomas