[Mageia-dev] Subrel for version updates on stable releases

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 29 14:21:54 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Anssi Hannula at 28/10/11 18:17 did gyre and gimble:
> I suggest we change the policy to say that package updates to stable
> should use 1.mga1 release (i.e. no subrel), so that it goes:
> 1. cauldron submission with 1.mga2
> 2. mga1 submission with 1.mga1
>
> and no extra submissions or commits required.
>
> Then, if some extra fix is needed, one does:
> 1. cauldron submission with 2.mga2
> 2. mga1 submission with 1.1.mga1

Only one very minor "regression" is not being able to tell immediately
from e.g. rpm -qi output that a package is an "update" (of any flavour)
from the released version. It's not really needed to know this very
often and it's easy enough to verify where the package came from anyway,
so I wouldn't say this is a blocker to your proposed change (and
besides, the process of trying to fix whatever issue has occurred is
pretty much identical regardless).