[Mageia-dev] noarch vs. arch

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Sep 2 14:06:09 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 02 septembre 2011 à 11:38 +0800, Funda Wang a écrit :
> 2011/9/2 Thomas Spuhler <thomas at btspuhler.com>:
> > When upgrading lilypond I noticed that someone else mad the doc package noarch
> > to "make the huge doc subpackage be noarch"
> >
> > 1. What is the advantage of this? We have noarch packages in i586 and x86_64
> > anyway
> We may split noarch packages into a new directory in the future, like
> what opensuse is doing. That will save a lot of space for mirrors.

As pterjan said, they are already the same file, provided the mirror
sync using the correct options. ( checking that is left as a exercise to
the reader ).

It would help would be by having smaller hdlists, but I am not sure it
would really help mirror so much. ( ie, I would not say "lots of space"
even if that still a saving )

But I am not sure that's worth the extra complexity ( ie more hdlists
mean more potential sync problem, more complexity on the repository
side, especially since that's shared and more complexity on the user
side, by doubling the number of repository to declare ).

So that's not worth the change. I would rather make sure mirror do use
proper options for hadlink, not sure if we can check remotely.

--
Michael Scherer