[Mageia-dev] Problem with gdm metacity again

JA Magallon jamagallon at ono.com
Wed Sep 7 11:42:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:15:21 +0200
JA Magallon <jamagallon at ono.com> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> This old problem has surfaced again:
>
> .xsession-errors:

> Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
> Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
>
> I get only the nautilus desktop, with two black bars on top and bottom of the screen.
> If I launch a terminal, 'gnome-shell --replace' works fine.
>
> Any idea ?
> Can it be some personal setting ?
>
> TIA

Digging a bit more, something is wrong detecting acceleration.
In GDM log:

gnome-session[4752]: DEBUG(+): fill: *** Looking if /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gdm-shell.session is a valid session file
gnome-session[4752]: DEBUG(+): fill: *** Launching helper 'bash -c "gnome-shell --help | grep -q gdm-mode && /usr/lib64/gnome-session-check-accelerated"' to know if session is runnable
gnome-session-is-accelerated: No hardware 3D support.
gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256
gnome-session[4752]: WARNING: Session 'gdm-shell' runnable check failed: Exited with code 1
gnome-session[4752]: DEBUG(+): fill: *** Session is not runnable
gnome-session[4752]: DEBUG(+): fill: *** Getting session 'gdm-fallback'

This is for GDM's own session.
The same happens for user.

Any ideas ? How can I check why this fails ?
Its a netbook with Intel graphics, so it uses Mesa.

Will check on an nvidia system too.

TIA