[Mageia-dev] systemd and time management

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 10:00:48 CEST 2011

Hello list.

I don't know if it is a bug, or a local misconfiguration, but I can't
have system clock set to the correct time at boot since switching to
systemd. My hardware clock is set to locale time (this is a dual-boot
host, and windows doesn't like UTC hw clock very much), but the clock is
always set 4 hours early, and I have to use ntpdate to correct it. I
have no clue if it is a wrong timezone, or a local/UTC misconfiguration
issue (despite 4 hours seems too large for the last case, as I'm in CEST).

I finally managed to import from redhat almost all necessary piece of
software in our ntp package (still one file needed), but that's anormal
to rely on network for such issue.

The old initscripts used two pieces of configuration for this:
- /etc/sysconfig/clock text file for the settings
- /etc/localtime binary timezone

I'm trying to figure how systemd manage this. From the man pages at
http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/timezone.html, there is an
/etc/timezone file that should contains the timezone (we should probably
add it to the systemd package, as other new system configuration files),
but it doesn't work. Also, the timezone is just one part of the problem.
I also found a reference to timedated, but for programmers, without any
reference to a way to configure it.

So, does anyone have a clue there ?
--
BOFH excuse #144: