[Mageia-dev] changing apache configuration handling

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 14 11:06:05 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 14/09/11 09:06 did gyre and gimble:
> - keep current behaviour, by removing conditionals in configuration
> file. This means no additional configuration needed, but also than
> installing implies usage.

I much prefer this.

e.g. the file /etc/httpd/modules.d/70_mod_php.conf just drops the
<IfDefine HAVE_PHP5> bit.

I really don't know what additional benefit the defines give you. Sure
you could then relatively easily run two version of httpd (e.g. on
different ports) one with a cut down install (e.g. no PHP for a static
site or similar), but IMO it's much more common to use a separate server
(e.g. lighthttpd) for this.

Varnish also kinda masks why this would be needed due to allowing lots
of different configurations of the underlying system.

So, as I cannot think of any real-world benefits to the defines, I think
they should be dropped.

That said, if he's about online, it might be worthwhile asking Oden
about it to see what he things generally (not Mageia specific)?

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]