[Mageia-dev] [RFC] debloating minimal system

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:40:12 CEST 2011

On 14 September 2011 13:08, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just fixed that, but it would be nice if:
> - more people try to minimize minimal system
> - packagers watch what they're doing
> - some people watch minimal system size (maybe some bot should do that?).

Eg, if systemd-analyze would be split from systemd into an utils sub-package,
we wouldn't require python in minimal system.

Not requiring wireless-tools would also spare us comgt, usb_modeswitch & tcl
from minimal basesystem .

wireless-tools shouldn't be suggested since drakx-net installs it when needed

prcsys should be a suggest now that we're moving towards systemd

Likewise due to widespread suggests among perl modules, we bring quite
a lot of perl modules:
urpmi -> perl-Hal-Cdroms -> Net-DBus -> XML-Twig -> XML-Parser -> LWP
-> perl-libwww-perl -> HTTP::Negotiate -> HTTP::Negotiate ->
HTTP::Message

does util-linux needs diffutils?

crda & iw could maybe be installed if needed by drakx-net?