[Mageia-dev] [RFC] debloating minimal system

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 14 15:28:45 CEST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 14/09/11 13:29 did gyre and gimble:
> On 14 September 2011 14:23, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Automatic dependencies computing result... The algorithm used here can't
>>> figure if a module used anywhere in the source is always used, or only in
>>> specific occasion.
>>>
>>> I see two potential links that could get turned in soft dependencies here:
>>> - urpmi ->  perl-Hal-Cdroms, but urpmi should probably get modified to
>>> ensure a graceful failure if the user tries to use a cdrom, while
>>> Hal::Cdroms is not installed.
>>
>> It's already a suggests and urpmi already handles smoothly its absence.
>> But we could remove altogether that suggests and only install it in case
>> of DVD install.
>
> eg: cf the attachment

Forgive the ignorance, but shouldn't be try and ditch hal? On all the
systems I run, it's disabled...

We should aim for it being completely nuked for mga2 if possible (there
may still be some specific use-case blockers of course)

mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]