[Mageia-dev] [RFC] msec (nail) can't send reports to local users accounts - require an MTA?

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Fri Sep 23 12:49:41 CEST 2011

Johnny A. Solbu a écrit :
> On Friday 23 September 2011 10:52, Florian Hubold wrote:
>
>> Still, you didn't tell for which choice you vote.
>>
> I vote for still sending mail, if an address or username is provided for msec to send mail to.
>

>> You don't want msec to require an MTA,
>> but seems you want msec to send reports to an email adress if you enter one.
>>
> I ask what happens if one does enter an address, under the new proposed config.
> Today root get all reports unless one enters a username or a mail address. I understand it to mean that under the proposed no mail config it's just stored in logs.
>
> But if one does enter a username or a mail address, it should send mail to the configured user or mail address. And then the setup/installation could prompt for an MTA to be installed if one haven't selected one. And possibly give the user a list of MTAs to use, perhaps with the default MTA, Postfix, preselected.

Currently, entering a userid alone does not work.  It has to be an email
address.
Note however that userid at localhost _is_ an email address.
We could change it to accept only a valid format email address or a
valid userid, in the latter case msec adding the @localhost part.  IIRC,
@localhost must be in a certain config file, which is the case by default.

> I guess what I'm saying is, configure msec to Not send mail if an MTA is not found and send if one is found.
> Not shure how much work that would require thou. :-)=

The best solution is to ensure that an MTA is always installed.
Be it a fixed nail or dragonfly (dma) or whatever.
If an email isn't wanted, it can be turned off now.  But it is currently
on by default even if no email address is entered.  In which case we get
the /dead.letter delivery to root.

--
André