[Mageia-dev] PING for bug 2160

Balcaen John mikala at mageia.org
Sun Sep 25 18:43:27 CEST 2011

Le Dimanche 25 Septembre 2011 12:32:59 Frank Griffin a écrit :
> On 09/25/2011 12:05 PM, Balcaen John wrote:
> > Le Dimanche 25 Septembre 2011 11:21:51 Frank Griffin a écrit :
> >> so I question why it's needed.
> >
> > Because of gnome 3.
>
> Considering that NM  activates (and fails) during network startup well
> before GNOME ever gets into the picture, I doubt that it works any
> better there.  Does GNOME 3 function with the older drakx support ?
> If so, could the requires for NM simply be removed until it works ?
[...]
> Then why does it continue to try to manage my interfaces whether or
> not I disable support in the ifcfg-wlan0 ?  Others have confirmed the
> same behavior.  I'm not sure what significance "not being the
> default" has here, unless you mean that we still provide support for
> the drakx stuff.
Because it's probably mis configured on your computer i guess.
For memory the first release of nm in mageia were not able to handle the
ifcfg scripts and blino recently patch it to make it ignore/respect
interface which were not supposed to be handled by nm.
Now with the ifcfg-rh plugin loaded before the keyfile plugin everything
should work correctly (aka nm won't launch an interface managed by the
drakx tools)

> Whether or not it is the default, just having it installed (or
> possibly started by init, based on comments in the bug) is sufficient
> to break wireless on many systems.
Well we're supposed/trying to switch to systemd & currently (on systemd)
it is not started automatically.
& Even if it was started automatically according to the blino patch it
should not start/enable the wrong interface anymore.

But the good solution might be to drop gnome3 so we won't have to
provide nm at all :) (said with my kde maintainer hat :p )

Regards,

--
Balcaen John