[Mageia-dev] [RFC] msec (nail) can't send reports to local users accounts - require an MTA?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 26 05:16:07 CEST 2011

On 09/25/2011 03:36 PM, andre999 wrote:
> Frank Griffin a écrit :
>
> So in sum, you seem to be saying that an MUA needs an MTA, which may
> be on a remote machine.  Except if it is to be delivered locally
> without accessing a remote machine, the MTA (of course) has to be on
> the local machine.

Correct.

> I like that approach.
> There are a lot of mail-related perl packages.  Hopefully one is
> appropriate (or readily modified to be so).
>
> We should also have code that gracefully deals with cases where it is
> requested to send security messages to a remote host.  (For example,
> if a remote-capable MTA is not installed or accessible.)

That can't easily be done.  For anti-spam reasons, very few remote MTAs
will accept mail from an MUA or MTA originating from an "unknown" IP
address.  For an ISP MTA, this is one not within the assigned IP pool
for its clients and for the big boys, it's anyone who isn't known as a
valid ISP or who can't authenticate themselves via userid/password or TLS.

So, if you need the services of an external MTA, you will require
configuration info that is specific to the client system.