[Mageia-dev] PLEASE READ. Package adoption campaign: status report (mine, and yours)

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Fri Sep 30 05:38:29 CEST 2011

Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Please every packager read this mail, there's a call for feedback.
>
> An objective has been reached: there are more maintained non-perl
> packages than unmaintained packages !
> - unmaintained: 2969
> - maintained (non-perl): 3169
> - maintained (perl): 2552
>
> We are still far from a totally maintained distro, so the next objectives are:
> - find maintainers for core packages.
> - reduce the number of unmaintained packages to 2000
>
> Right now, I need your feedback, from each packager individually, with an
> answer to the following questions:
>
> - did you grab all the packages you want and can maintain already ?
> (not a rhetorical question, this will help to know if there's still room for
> improvement or if the current campaign has reached a limit). If the answer
> is no, I would be very grateful if you could update your maintainer status
> before next packager meeting.
>
> - are there some packages you would have wanted to help to maintain within
> a group of maintainers, but for which you are not ready to put your name
> alone ? Can you name a few examples ?

I would like to help to maintain these package groups:
Gnome, Gtk (non-gnome-specific), system tools (drak* and associated).

Other package groups I can see are KDE, kernel and drivers, perl, fonts,
and language packs (maybe combined with spell checkers).
  Depending of course on the interests of other packagers.
We should decide some rules as to how to well define a group and the
packages it contains.
To implement groups, we need to be able to support multiple maintainers
for groups.  No reason why that couldn't support multiple maintainers
for individual packages as well.
We could even have groups such as Libreoffice or Firefox, including all
packages associated with the application.

> - do you have comments about the package adoption campaign, or suggestions ?

Excellent campaign.  After we attain 2000, let's aim for 1500 :)

> Now, various tools:
> - flat list, automatically updated: http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/data/unmaintained.txt

In this list Eterm is listed as unmaintained, but it has been renamed to
eterm,
  maintained by anssi.
Filerunner has been renamed to filerunner, but it is still unmaintained.
This doubling of names also appears in maintdb.txt

> - same list, manually updated a few minutes ago, with the number of commits
> per packager for each unmaintained package:
> http://stormi.lautre.net/fichiers/mageia/unmaintained-per-committers.txt
> - (coming soon, from you if you want, or me later) a script that gives you the
> list of unmaintained packages that are installed on your system

Good idea.  I might try doing that :)
Since I'm not (yet) a packager, I load maintdb.txt into Libreoffice and
use some macros to give me a list of (maintained and) unmaintained
packages, as well as the count by maintainer.
I'm also using that to select packages I want to maintain.
If anyone is interested (particularly apprentices?), I could make a
version for you.
Just tell me what you want.

> Best regards
>
> Samuel Verschelde